I once saw two parrots. They might have been twins, yet again, maybe not.

15.10.07

Sorry, Jim, you don't get my vote!

Jim toys with standing for the Liberty & Democracy party in Ryan: Plus Perdu: election announced

Well, Jim, as a Ryan voter, you won't be getting my vote. I can see why they call themselves the Liberty party as they are definitely libertarian (the individual should decide where they should smoke, what risky behaviours they engage in, how fast they drive, and how many guns they tote) but I don't get the Democracy part of their platform, as in when when does the majority get to decide that it isn't such a great idea for the individual to do most of those things because of the harm they can do to others.

How fast should you drive? Well, we've seen idiots pulled over for 3x the speed limit and with their baby strapped in the back. I presume the driver thought it was a safe speed and that he could handle the car at such speed. Pity anyone else driving on that road, pity anyone walking across the street or cycling through the intersection, pity the child in the back seat. Now I agree that we can't necessarily stop these people doing these things, but I am not wanting a society that says "hey, that's cool, it was his libertarian right to decide that was a safe way to drive".

For that matter, why should the government decide which side of the road we drive on? Goddamnit, I wanna drive on the other side. Isn't that my right? So I end up crippled, thank heavens for the L&D's welfare policy. I mean it was a victimless crime if the only person I injure is myself, so that's cool in the L&D policy.

But still, thanks, Jim for contributing to the political debate and politial conscience raising. We all need to have our axioms challenged. But frankly, it's just reading about the L&D party that sends me screaming back to the mainstream political parties. I'm sorry John & Kevin, forgive me for doubting your ability to deliver something that approximates my social and economic needs, whatever your differences (if any).

I am guilty of declaring myself as being Apathetic about politics on Facebook. I think I need to revise that to be anti-libertarian!