I once saw two parrots. They might have been twins, yet again, maybe not.

6.4.07

Movie review: Hot Fuzz

I scored two free tickets to Hoyts cinema (or Australian Multiplex in Qld) for being one of Quickflix's favourite customers. Or so they said. I am at a loss to understand why I might be one of the their favourite customers; I am subscribed on the cheapest plan. Maybe they sent them to everyone. I presume there must be some corporate connection between Quickflix and Hoyts, but I can't see what it is.

Being of a suspicious mind, I inspected these free tickets carefully for the catch, but other than being unusable on Saturday nights, it all seemed genuine. Since there are no AMC cinemas on our side of town, we headed off to the Sunnybank cinema to see Hot Fuzz which sounded the best film on offer.

Indeed, it was pretty good. It's a spoof on the genre of America urban cop with lots of shooting and violence. It's a UK film and the storyline is that a tough London cop is sent to a Gloucestershire village, where a bunch of local yokel cops lead a quiet life in a town where little happens. But, of course, still waters run deep, and below the surface, evil is afoot and people are dying. And our hero realises the deaths are murder but fails to convince his colleagues who believe they are accidents.

It's MA15+ presumably for the violence and horror themes (people die in some grisly ways) but because it is so obviously a comedy, it rather diminishes the impact of the violence and horror (similar to cartoons).

The plot changes direction a few times and ultimately doesn't really make a lot of sense, but you are not here for the plot but for the comedy, both verbal and physical.

Anyhow I'll not spoil it with more details. An excellent film at the price I paid :-) but really it was worth spending the money if you are thinking of going.