I once saw two parrots. They might have been twins, yet again, maybe not.

30.9.05

The Tale of Two CRCs

"It was the best of times, it was the worst of times, it was the age of wisdom, it was the age of foolishness, it was the epoch of belief, it was the epoch of incredulity, it was the season of Light, it was the season of Darkness, it was the spring of hope, it was the winter of despair,"

In the opening lines of The Tale of Two Cities, Charles Dickens sums up pretty well the life and times of DSTC and of its two CRCs: the CRC for Distributed Systems Technology and the CRC for Enterprise Distributed Systems.

Today is my last day at DSTC, bringing to an end my part in The Tale of Two CRCs. However, I can still be found at:

kerry.raymond@gmail.com (email)
http://twinparrots.blogspot.com/ (blog)
http://www.chapelhill.homeip.net/ (our home WWW site)
chat.world on ticker

We've had a lot of farewells recently and we've all said so many things, in public and in private, to individuals and to groups, that I have pretty much said all I have to say. But nonetheless, I'd like to say a couple of final special thank you's.

Firstly, to Rob Cook, who had the vision and the tenacity to create DSTC. Without him, there would have been no DSTC.

Secondly, to all of those people in the Architecture Unit and then projects Pegamento and Elemental, for whom our everyday working lives together was a constant joy and a constant inspiration for me.

The last chapter of DSTC is still yet to be written. I cannot say what will become of DSTC, its spin-offs, and the many people who were part of its story. But to finish off the Tale of Two CRCs, I can think of no better closing lines than those of Max Ehrmann's Desiderata:

"With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be cheerful. Strive to be happy."